Nursing Home Neglect and Assisted Living Abuse Lawyer
Atlanta & All Of Georgia
Photo does not represent an actual client.

What's Your Assisted Living Neglect or Abuse Question?

Find the answers you need from a Georgia attorney you can trust

People often contact our law firm when they suspect an assisted living facility of abusing or neglecting a loved one or even themselves. That's because they know they can get honest advice from George S. Johnson about their concerns.

George knows how frustrating it can be to not know who to turn to when you suspect something's wrong. There's so much misleading information out there. And many people try to take advantage of vulnerable, elderly residents.

That's why George takes such cases so seriously. He understands how hard people work their entire lives to save for retirement. That's why he wants to help you or your loved one get their life back on track. He's here for you when you need him most.

Frequently asked questions about assisted living abuse & neglect

Questions about assisted living neglect or abuse can be complicated. That's why we strongly urge you to schedule an appointment with our law firm, even if you see the answer to your specific question below. Every case has many unique aspects. And those seemingly minor details can affect the outcome. Don't take chances with your future. Take action. Contact George S. Johnson right now. Give us a call or come to our office in Decatur.

What should I do if I suspect an assisted living facility of abuse or neglect?

As soon as you notice something wrong, take action:

  • Seek immediate medical attention - Have a doctor examine yourself or whoever's injured right away. What might seem like a minor injury could be far more serious.
  • Report the injury - Tell the assisted living facility about the injury. They should put it in writing, which could be evidence later on if you have a claim against the facility.
  • Contact us - Our law firm can thoroughly investigate your claim and make sure your rights are fully protected.

Return to Top

I complained to the assisted living facility but nothing changed. What should I do?

We understand how frustrated you must feel. You reported your complaint to the assisted living facility but problems persist. When this happens, make sure you:

  • Write down exactly what happened while the details are fresh in your head.
  • Contact our law firm. We can help you review all your legal options and decide your best course of action.

Return to Top

Should I contact the police if I suspect abuse or neglect?

Perhaps. Depending on what type of incident or injury you're dealing with, the police might need to investigate, particularly if you suspect criminal activity. This includes allegations of:

Return to Top

Who investigates assisted living neglect and abuse cases in Georgia?

In most cases, the office of the Georgia Ombudsman Long Term Care Residents' Advocate investigates allegations of abuse of in assisted living facilities. Their office can be reached online.

Return to Top

Should I talk to insurance investigators about the case?

No. If someone from an insurance company representing the assisted living facility contacts you, politely decline to answer their questions. Anything you say to them could be used as evidence to deny your claim. If you haven't hired us yet, call George S. Johnson immediately for a free consultation. We can handle the insurance company for you. We know the games insurance companies play and know how to investigate abuse or neglect allegations and build a strong legal case.

Return to Top

Should I accept an offer from an insurance company for my claim?

Always be skeptical when insurance companies want to settle a claim right away. What might seem like a reasonable offer might not even come close to covering all the costs associated with the injury. Months or years later, you or your loved one might still need physical therapy, additional assistance or other treatment. And all of these things can add up fast. That's why it's important to consider the long-term financial consequences of your losses before you or a loved one agree to accept an offer from an insurance company. You might need additional money months or years from now. And if you accept an offer now, you might forfeit your rights to more money in the future.

Return to Top

Can I negotiate with the insurance company for more money?

Yes. Insurance companies and assisted living facilities don't want people to know that they have the right to demand more money for their injury, illness or the death of a loved one. Most hope that victims will accept whatever they're offered - no questions asked. But the reality is you can - and should - ask for all the money you rightfully deserve. Remember, you didn't do anything wrong. You shouldn't have to pay for someone else's mistakes.

Return to Top

What can I do if the insurance company refuses to negotiate?

Contact our law firm immediately. Attorney George S. Johnson has dedicated his career to fighting for the rights of injury victims and their families. He used to work for the insurance companies, and he knows how to negotiate with them and hold them accountable for their actions. That's why people throughout Georgia rely on him when they need a strong advocate.

Return to Top

Can I sue the assisted living facility for abuse or neglect?

Yes. In certain circumstances, filing a lawsuit against an assisted living facility might be the best way to obtain the financial compensation. However, it's important to understand that taking legal action can be extremely complicated. That's why it's important to work with a lawyer who has the ability to break down complex problems into winning solutions.

Return to Top

How long do I have to take legal action for neglect or abuse?

In most cases, you have up to 2 years after the time you or someone discovered the injury or after the date of the death to file a lawsuit or take other legal action, according to the state's Statue of Limitations laws. We urge you to act quickly, because a delay could make it harder to build a strong case.

Return to Top

How can attorney George S. Johnson help me with my case?

Attorney Johnson understands the legal system inside out based on years of experience handling complex legal cases. But the real reason why you should hire him has to do with his commitment to his clients. When you have George on your side, he'll personally make sure your injury or illness receives the attention it rightfully deserves. He won't hand your case off to another attorney. He'll personally take the time to find out what's wrong, then work with you to develop a unique solution that addresses your specific legal needs. Put your trust in us. Contact George and schedule your free case evaluation right now.

Return to Top

Our location

The Law Office of George S. Johnson, LLC

150 E Ponce de Leon Ave #230
Decatur, GA 30030
Phone: (404) 378-5878
Toll Free: (866) 904-6653
Map and Directions