Nursing Home Neglect and
Assisted Living Abuse Lawyer
Atlanta & All Of Georgia

What Is Your Nursing Home Neglect Or Abuse Question?

Find answers to your questions from a Decatur attorney you can trust

Knowing what to do if you suspect nursing home abuse or neglect can be confusing. Even knowing where you can find accurate information can be overwhelming. That's why we complied this list of some of the most frequently asked questions about abuse or neglect at nursing homes.

Our attorneys understand the complexities surrounding abuse and neglect in nursing homes. With years of experience handling cases in the Atlanta area and throughout Georgia, we know how the legal system works, what evidence matters and how to build a winning case.

Nursing home neglect and abuse cases can be complicated. Choosing the right lawyer to represent you should be simple. Contact our law firm and schedule your free case evaluation right now. Best of all, you only pay if you win. It's that simple.

Frequently asked questions about nursing home abuse and neglect

Below, you'll find some of the most common questions we often receive from people dealing with abuse or neglect of loved ones living in nursing homes. If you don't see your specific question (or even if you do), contact us right away. Every abuse case is unique - and so are our solutions. Helping people restore dignity to their lives drives everything we do at our law firm.

What should I do if I suspect nursing home abuse?

As soon as you notice something wrong with your loved one, we strongly urge you to take the following steps:

  • Seek immediate medical attention - This is the most important step. Your loved one's health matters most. Call 9-1-1 and ask for an ambulance to take them to the emergency room. If your family member's medical crisis is serious, take serious action.
  • Tell the nursing home - Notify management that you suspect something is wrong. Ask to put it in writing so you have a record of your complaint. That way, there won't be any debates later about why you waited to report your concerns.
  • Contact the police - If you believe the facility broke the law and put your loved one's life in danger, call the police. Having a police report about the incident can also add credibility to your claims of wrongdoing.
  • Take photographs - This is especially important if your loved one has bruises or other visible signs of abuse or neglect. A photo can strengthen your legal case.
  • Talk to witnesses - If someone saw something, you'll want the witness to provide a statement and talk to the police. Make sure to get witnesses' full names, addresses and phone numbers so you or investigators can reach them later.
  • Contact our law firm - We can advise you on what to do every step of the way. Our attorneys have worked with countless families facing similar complex problems. We can handle all the paperwork and fight to protect your rights.

Return to Top

Who investigates nursing home abuse or neglect in Georgia?

The Office of the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman officially investigates all complaints concerning nursing home abuse or neglect throughout the state. You can reach their office by phone or online.

Return to Top

Should I move my family member who is being abused to another nursing home?

We understand the urge to get a loved one out of a horrible situation as soon as possible. But it's also important to make sure you're not making their living situation worse. We can help you decide whether moving your family member to another facility is the right solution for you. We can also take legal action against the original nursing home.

Return to Top

What if my family member doesn't remember what happened?

Some elderly people harmed by nursing home workers have no memory of what happened. They might be suffering from dementia, Alzheimer's disease or some other condition that robs their ability to recall events. Your parent or spouse might have bruise marks or perhaps even a broken bone, but can't offer any details about the source of the injury.

Such cases can be extremely complicated, especially if the nursing home insists it did nothing wrong. Fortunately, you're not alone. One of our attorneys can investigate your claim and work with police and medical professionals to get to the bottom of what happened.

Return to Top

What if the nursing home removed evidence of abuse or neglect?

Removing or destroying evidence is a serious crime. If a nursing home is being investigated for harming your loved one, it could face criminal charges for tampering with evidence or obstructing justice. Even so, some nursing homes will take such steps to conceal their harmful or negligent actions.

In other cases, nursing homes might destroy potential evidence without any illegal intentions. For example, potential evidence to support your case might be thrown away by cleaning staff. The nursing home might have no reason to save possible evidence if you have not raised any abuse or negligence concerns. That's why important to contact us and take legal action as soon as possible. Otherwise, critical evidence could be destroyed.

Return to Top

What is the Statute of Limitations in Georgia for taking legal action?

In most cases, you have up to 2 years to file a lawsuit or take other legal action against the nursing home for harming your loved one. The clock starts ticking at the time someone found out about the injury, or up to two years after the death of the nursing home resident.

That might seem like a long time. But the reality is building a strong legal case often takes a tremendous amount of work. At Johnson Greer Law Group, we're eager to meet with you and help your family get the justice you rightfully deserve.

Return to Top

Should I accept an offer from an insurance company for my abuse or neglect claim?

Always carefully review any offer before you agree to accept it. If you accept any financial compensation from the nursing home or its insurance company for your loved one's injuries, you may forfeit your right to take any other legal action in the future.

What might seem like a generous offer at first might not even come close to covering the true cost of the financial impact on your family.  Medical expenses can add up fast. Why not talk to us? We can make sure your family receives the money you need to move forward with your lives.

Return to Top

Can I negotiate with the nursing home for more money?

Yes. Nursing homes, insurance companies and their attorneys don't want people to know that they have the right to ask for more money when settling a patient injury claim.

Our law firm has years of experience helping families get the money and closure they need. Nursing home executives and insurance company attorneys don't intimidate us. We know the tactics they often use and how to stay one step ahead of them.

Return to Top

How much is my nursing home neglect or abuse claim worth?

There's no way to put a dollar amount on the value of your case until all information is gathered and all factors are weighed. Some cases result in injury victims and their families receiving a few thousand dollars to cover losses. Other times, families receive millions of dollars.

The reality is you won't know until you take the first, important step - contacting a lawyer to defend your rights. But don't just contact any attorney. Make sure you have someone you can trust working for you. Make sure you call us.

Return to Top

How can a Georgia attorney help me with my case?

There's a reason why families throughout Georgia rely on our firm to handle their legal cases. And you'll understand why the very first time you meet with us. We won't tell you what to do. We'll listen carefully to your concerns. Then we'll work with you to develop a strategy that addresses your family's unique legal needs.

It's not enough to have a lawyer on your side who simply knows the laws. You need someone passionate about fighting for the rights of injury victims. Our attorneys have been doing that for years. He's driven by the desire to deliver justice and restore dignity in victims' lives. Find out what he can do for you. Schedule your free case evaluation right now.

Return to Top

    Free Consultation
    We Look Forward To Speaking With You.

    Free ConsultationClick Here