What are typical cases of assisted living facility abuse and neglect?
Unfortunately, some of the most vulnerable people in Georgia and across the United States suffer abuse and neglect in assisted living facilities. There’s no question that it is a widespread and heartbreaking problem.
About one in six people who are 60 and older experience some form of abuse in a community setting, according to the World Health Organization, which compiled alarming facts in an article titled Elder Abuse. In an institutional setting, it is thought abuse is just as prevalent.
Experienced elder abuse attorneys like George S. Johnson handle a wide range of cases involving abuse and neglect in assisted living facilities. Some of the most common types of assisted living facility abuse and neglect cases include but are not limited to:
- Aggression by staff or other residents
- Rough handling of a resident
- Punching, slapping, kicking and hitting
Psychological or emotional abuse
- Yelling in anger
- Threatening a resident
- Speaking in a harsh tone
- Cursing at a resident
- Engaging in mean or bullying behavior
Any of the behaviors described above could result in a legal case against a nursing home. It’s important to speak with an attorney if you or a loved one has been a victim of abuse or neglect to help determine if you have a case.
Abuse and neglect cases against assisted living facilities can extend beyond physical or emotional abuse. Other types of cases against care facilities might stem from neglect. Here are a few examples:
- Unsanitary conditions such as unwashed bedding or clothing and dirty kitchens that can pose a health threat to residents.
- Bedsores, which may develop if a resident is left in a bed or chair for a long time.
- Injuries from falls due to a facility failing to keep walkways free of obstructions or failing to install handrails or not maintaining handrails.
- Breach of contract, which could result from a facility not providing transportation, overcharging or not serving food or snacks. An attorney can review the contract you signed to determine if the facility has not honored the terms.
- Financial exploitation, which could arise out of the facility double billing for services or charging for services not provided, to name a couple of examples.
Do I have a case against the assisted living facility?
It can be difficult to know if you have a claim against an assisted living facility. Many cases are difficult to prove. Even if you have a valid claim, the assisted living facility may deny any wrongdoing. Without the help of an attorney, you may get push-back from the facility and decide it’s not worth the hassle.
That’s why it’s important to contact the Law Offices of George S. Johnson for a free consultation. Attorney Johnson will start by listening to you and understanding what happened. He then will discuss your options, which may include an investigation into the abuse or neglect.
By working with our law firm, you will have a strong and experienced legal advocate who can work with you to help stop the abuse or neglect. Attorney Johnson can handle the negotiations with the nursing home as well.
While many cases settle out of court, George S. Johnson can file a lawsuit if necessary and is prepared to bring cases to trial to fight for a fair resolution.
If you suspect abuse or neglect at an assisted living facility, reach out to the Law Offices of George S. Johnson today for a free and confidential consultation. Because there is a statute of limitations, it’s important to contact our firm as soon as possible. If you wait too long, you may lose your right to file a claim.